Bulging vein in right side of neck when going to toilet

when i go toilet the vein in the right side of my neck bulges big
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of XXXXXXX Medicine, working with an experienced Internist. I answer on his behalf.

Th vein you notice in the right side of your neck is External Jugular vein.The pulse in it which is usually visible and felt is called Jugular venous pulse (JVP).This Pulsation is seen in normal individuals.The pulsation is due to conductance of the pressure from the right side of the heart.Whenever there is increased pressure in the abdomen (as it occurs during urination , cough and squatting) there is increased venous return from the body to the right side of the heart hence the pressure in the heart rises and subsequently the JVP becomes apparent.

It is most often well noticed in skinny individuals , if on concentrated look it can be noticed in all even at rest.Need not worry , this is normal and do not indicate any illness unless you see a more than normal size pulse even when in rest.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.