Bulging disc in neck, legs weak, off balance, numb fingers. Precautions?

I was just told i have buging disk in my neck.
My legs are weak and i feel out of balance.
My ring and little fingers of both hands are numb.
I have no pain.
Doctor days surgery (told me over the phone)
I'll see him in 2 days.
Are there precautions I need to take at this point?
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 25 minutes later

Please understand that every body has set of vertebra in back.Through canal of this vertebra the spinal cord passes from base of brain to lower back where the vertebral column ends.In between this vertebras there is soft structur that helps to absorb shocks and provides nutrition to bones,this are known as disk.

In your case as explained to you the disk has slipped from its place means it has protruded out side,which in turn narrow the spinal canal and lead to compression of nerve roots that passes in between the vertebra.

You need to avoid jerky movements of neck, sudden change of posture and any jolt to neck which can lead to further problems.

In case you are feeling out of balance please avoid driving and perfoming actions which requires caution.Take care to avoid fall.

You can continue your routine domestic work, some surgeons also suggest neck band to avoid jerks to the neck. You also need to contact a physiotherapist to strengthen the muscles around the neck. This basically forms the main treatment too.

Please discuss this with your doctor as per your appointment.

Surgery is advised in cases where there significant compression at that point of prolapse or when the conservative measures fail to help you.

I hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up.