Bulge in the calf, pain and discoloration

my daughter is a cheerleader this morning woke up with a buldge in her calf she straightened her leg out and it went away now her calf hurts and has bruising color where it was
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Your daughter seems to have suffered stress injury of her calf due to continuous dancing. Appearance of a bruise is indicative of some XXXXXXX hemorrhage due to the stress induced injury.
Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your calf muscle.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Cold compresses to your leg and calf will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.