Bulge in left eye. Applied anti marks cream over the eyes. Also some pimples on chin. Is all this due to the cream ?

I have this bulge in my left eye which is there for last 2-3 months. It seems to be a stye or a Chalazion (or may be something else). Sometimes it appears to be going away, but at other times, there seem to be no change. I fear this happened because I applied some "Neem and XXXXXXX cream for anti marks" over my eyes for a few days. There is no noticeable pain as such. Also, I have some pimples (pus) on my chin.

My questions are:
1. What does the symptom tell ? Is it very serious ?
2. Can it be treated using non-surgical procedures ?
3. Which doctor/clinic would you suggest me to visit (I live in Bangalore), which can provide a good cure to this.I was thinking of visiting XXXXXXX Nethralaya at XXXXXXX Nagar (Castle Street) as it is near to my house.
4. 3. I have a medical insurance from IFFCO-TOKIO. Will the treatment be covered under the that ?

Many thanks in advance,
Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 22 minutes later

From your description, it can be a chalazion. A chalazion also known as a meibomian gland lipogranuloma, is a cyst in the eyelid that is caused by inflammation of a blocked meibomian gland.

It is not a serious condition per se. But a long standing chalazion can press on the cornea and can cause astigmatism.

You can try hot fomentation and antibiotic eye ointment (moxifloxacin) for a week. If the swelling does not subside, you may need an incision and curettage.
It is a minor outpatient surgical procedure which is done in all eye hospitals.

If the swelling is atypical, your doctor may suggest a biopsy. Since it is outpatient procedure, I am not sure if medical insurance will cover it.

If you can send me a close-up photo, of the swelling, I would be able to comment better. I will be available for any further queries.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah
Follow-up: Bulge in left eye. Applied anti marks cream over the eyes. Also some pimples on chin. Is all this due to the cream ? 3 hours later
Thanks Dr. for your quick reply. Not sure, if I was able to convey it properly earlier, but the bulge in not in eye, but on the eye-lid. The eye is perfectly fine :)

I have attached the photos as report to this query. Can you please check and see if you can conclude anything from it.

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 54 minutes later

Thanks for sending the photos.
I have seen the photos and I am pretty sure that it is a chalazion in the upper eyelid of your left eye. Chalazion occurs on the eyelids only.

As mentioned earlier, you can try moxifloxacin (Moxicip) eye ointment four times per day in your left eye. Also do hot fomentation over the swelling.

If the swelling does not subside after a week, you may need an incision and curettage as mentioned earlier.

If you are satisfied with my reply please accept it.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah