Bulbocavernosus reflex test. Is the penis erect then? What is the procedure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
is the mans penis erect when the doctor bulbcocavernosusperforms test,step by step how does test go and does the doctor do it till an orgasm occurs.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Bulbocavernosus reflex is tested in cases of erectile dysfunction to help with the diagnosis. This test evaluates nerve sensation in the penis. During the test, your doctor will squeeze the head of your penis, which should immediately cause your rectum to contract. If nerve function is abnormal, there will be a delay in response time or absence of rectal contraction.
In this test, erection is not produced. Only the nerve function is assessed.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Bulbocavernosus reflex test. Is the penis erect then? What is the procedure? 2 hours later
does she observe the rectum or put he finger there and isn't this also a test for spinal column damage
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

1. To monitor the contraction of rectal sphincter, per rectal examination can be done. In some centres, electrophysiological recordings are taken by putting the electrodes on the perineum.

2. This test is also used to test the lower spinal column damage specially the scaral fibres S2-S5.

Hope this answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.