Bubbles in water during direct urination. Proteins in urine?

Question
I see large bubbles when I urinate directly in the water, but when I aim onto the side (no water) and it flows into th water no bubbles. Does this mean its less likely there is protein in the urine? I had a rurine and Blood test for Protein and Kidney function last Oct and all was negative
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query. Since foamy urine in your case is when you urinate directly into water and no such symptoms are there when you urinate on the side, it is less likely to be due to any proteins in urine.

Sometimes urinating rapidly or with force causes foamy urine. Concentrated urine because of less intake of water can also cause such symptoms. These look like the possible causes for foamy urine in your case. Try to urinate slowly and drink more water than 8 glasses of water.

If the symptoms persist then you need to get it examined from your doctor. Your urine and blood test have come negative for proteins, but in males apart from proteinuria (presence of proteins in urine), prostatitis, retrograde ejaculation (common in diabetics) also can cause such symptoms. Pneumaturia (air bubbles in the urine) due to a fistula is another possibility although very less likely. In such a case, complete urine examination, blood sugar count, PSA (prostate specific antigen) levels and kidney function tests should be done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Bubbles in water during direct urination. Proteins in urine? 1 hour later
So if its kidney problems causing the bubbles that disipate quickly, it wold not get better over time but would get worse?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later
Thanks for the query,

It is less likely to be proteinuria or kidney causes because your urine and blood tests have come normal recently.

However if in any case it is a kidney problem, then it will become worse with time if appropriate treatment is not initiated. Serum proteins are readily reabsorbed from urine, the presence of excess protein indicates either an insufficiency of absorption or impaired filtration. Hence proteinuria in urine and altered kidney function tests are indicative of kidney causes. Get a repeat urine for proteins and kidney function tests to rule out any kidney causes.

Follow-up: Bubbles in water during direct urination. Proteins in urine? 7 hours later
Thank you for your help Dr. I did have a Basic Metabolic Panel that included Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine in Feb. and it was also Negative. So I am not going to worry about it unil I go back for my normal checkup in Oct. Let me know if you disagree.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

I presume there shouldn't be any cause for worry as your BUN and serum creatinine have also come out as normal. You can go for your normal checkup in October.

I sincerely hope that helps.