Bruising and redness all over arm, had tender elbow. What caused this?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I had a very tender elbow yesterday. My arm hurt so much just touching my skin was tender. Today I have bruising and redness all up my arm. I haven't hurt myself so it is a mystery!
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of an internal bleeding or inflammation of blood vessels.
The exact cause of such bleeding cannot be determined without a thorough clinical examination of the part, however it most probably could be either due to musculoskeletal injury (eg rupture of tendon )or a blood vessel.Since the pain started in the elbow and then there appeared bruising its more likely an musculoskeletal injury rather than primary involvement of blood vessel.
I understand your disbelief as there was no trauma involved but the fact that your symptoms are progressively increasing and there is visible bruising and redness along with tenderness , makes it mandatory to be further investigated .Such injuries can even occur without trauma or fall .
Its advisable that you consult an orthopedic surgeon for evaluation and investigation . The doctor after examination and tests like X-ray, ultrasound can confirm the analgesic anti inflammatory drugs and physiotherapy , if there are no complications like damage to blood vessels or bony injury.
Meanwhile you can apply ice over the region for temporary relief . You can take antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen if the pain is unbearable till you consult your surgeon.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.