Bruising all over leg, swelling & limping after an injury. Should go for X-ray?

Six days ago, my 41 yr old healthy husband received an injury to the lower area of his XXXXXXX bone from a very hard shot of a hockey puck. His leg was not protected by XXXXXXX guards as he was coaching not playing. The swelling was localised immediately and raised about 1/2" with redness spreading across his XXXXXXX and down into his ankle. Within an hour the swelling spread to his entire XXXXXXX part of his calf and part of his ankle and foot. It is still swollen quite severely 6 days later and throbs constantly. He complains of pain when standing and still walks with a limp. The bruising is all over his lower leg now with the same raised swollen area at the site of impact. At first I assumed it was a bad bruise given the lack of tissue protecting the XXXXXXX but now I'm not convinced it isn't broken. Should he go in for X-ray?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jagdish 9 hours later

There is lot of swelling associated with inflammation and injury. I recommend hot compresses every 4 hrs. Also use Ibuprofen 600mg 3-4 times a day.

Because there is limping and swelling, it is acceptable to rule out fractures. Get an X- XXXXXXX and rule out fracture.

Dr. Jagdish