Bruising after having blood taken, pain down forearm. What should I do?

I had blood taken about 3 weeks ago. It didn't get sore right away but about 2 weeks later it was. It brused a little and now my vein looks like a fishing line under my skin. It's tight and when I try and raise my arm over my head I can't. I get a sharp pain into my bicept. A pain also goes down my forearm. It feels like if I force it up the vein will snap. It appears that the vein has dried up and now looks more like a fishing line tendon. What should I do.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
You may have developed inflammation of the veins.Its called thrombophlebitis. You can apply ice pack on the inflammed area. Also Thrombophob ointment will help. It may take a few days for the inflammation to reduce. The pain may be present until it does. Keep applying the ice at regular intervals.
Follow-up: Bruising after having blood taken, pain down forearm. What should I do? 5 minutes later
It's not realy inflamed, so should I just apply the ice where they took the blood from? Also can I buy the ointment over the counter?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 minutes later
Yes,just apply the ice over the vein and the area where they took the blood from. You should be able to get the ointment over the counter . It consists of heparin which will help resolve the clotted blood.