Bruises on buttocks and arm, started HCG diet. Related or due to liver disease?

Hello, I am a 52 year old white female, 5'4 160lbs. At mid day, I discovered 8 bruises on my buttocks and one large bruise on my left arm. Three days ago I started the HCG diet....would there be a connection? Also could it be liver disease?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

HCG can cause increased bruisability if taken in the injection form and the brusing is at the injection site. HCG diet as drops does not cause increased bruisability as its side effect.

Although there are many side effects of HCG diet in women like headaches, constipation, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, chest pain, slurred speech, weakness on one side of the body, confusion etc.. but increased bruisability is not a side effect of this diet.

A bruise happens because of trauma when blood from the ruptured capillaries (small blood vessels) near the skin's surface escapes by leaking out under the skin. Based on your symptoms, a few possibilities need to be ruled out which can cause a sudden bruise without any trauma. These include:

1)     Anemia and deficiency of vitamins C, K, B12, or folic acid
2)     Bleeding and clotting defects
3)     Liver disease
4)     Any malignancy including Hodgkin's disease and leukemia

I sincerely advise you to consult a hematologist and get your coagulation profile and liver function tests investigated. You also need a complete blood count and platelet count and levels of vitamin C, K B12 and folic acid. Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy may also be needed to rule out any leukemia but is done as a last investigation if all causes are ruled out.

Till then eat a healthy diet and take iron supplements for some days.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.