Ask a Dentist   »  

Bruised spots on gums in white color normal? Is it periodontal disease?

i have bruised spots on my lower gums and on my upper gum line my gums are very white at the spot where they XXXXXXX my teeth i have had the bruised spots for a while but the white color is new im almost sure i have periodontal disease are these normal symptoms for the disease? I have a dentists apointment on thursday what should i be prepared to hear?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one. What you may be seeing is a buildup of tartar in the spots where your teeth XXXXXXX the gums. It may be necessary for you to have some XXXXXXX cleaning or scaling procedures done. These are a bit uncomfortable but the dentist will typically give you local anesthetic to perform it. It involves using a device to remove the tartar quickly without the time consuming and uncomfortable scraping which would otherwise take a very long time to perform adequately.

The bruising is a bit unusual and may be related to inflammation under the gum by the periodontal disease. I would check in with your primary doctor as he may check a quick blood count to make sure your platelet count is not low for some reason. Also I would recommend you refrain from taking any aspirin or ibuprofen for a while until your dentist takes care of this.

This is something you can take care of by altering your dental hygein habits to include brushing two to three tims per day, flossing daily and using a mouthwash such as ACT or listerine. You will need those teeth for another 70 years so take good care of them.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Bruised spots on gums in white color normal? Is it periodontal disease? 1 hour later
I never had my wisdom teeth removed and they did crowd my teeth a bit even causing one to break and fall out and I also clinch my teeth a lot could this have caused the bruised looking spots
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

Grinding or clenching may have contributed to the bruising spots. Keep an eye on them for the time being and they should slowly resolve within a few weeks.

Again - excellent hygeine is the key to reversing periodondal disease and I am sure you are capable of this!

Thanks again for the query. Let me know if I may be of any additional assistance.

Dr. Galamaga