Bruised skin on the hand due to injury. Taken TT injection 4 years back . Is it still effective?

Question
hi
am 28 yr old ,185 cm, 86kg
this thurday my hand got bruise and upper skin was torn away on saturday i got a small pain on upper joint of the jaw i got a tt injection before 4 yrears after a cut .so i did,nt mind having a tt.is this worth consulting a doc
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You had an injury on your hand with upper skin torn away. You have taken your last TT(tetanus toxoid) injection 4 yrs ago.

You can clean the wound with an antiseptic lotion like dettol and apply neosprin ointment to the area. Keep the area, open and dry to heal. The pain at the jaw can be reduced by using hot compresses and using mild pain killer twice daily for 4 days. You can consider visiting a dentist if swelling or worsening of pain occurs.

If you have taken a TT booster dose within 5 yrs you need not take the injection, but if you have taken just a TT injection then you can take another one now. It is always better to take a booster every 5 yrs.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Bruised skin on the hand due to injury. Taken TT injection 4 years back . Is it still effective? 30 minutes later
is the pain in the jaw not associated with the symptoms of tetnus?

Answered by Dr. Radhika 18 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

The incubation period for tetanus infection varies from 3–21 days, with an average of eight days. So it will take an average of 8 days for the symptoms to arise. Further tetanus infections are common following wound exposure to dust and soiled particles.

The first signs of tetanus is spasm of the jaw muscles (not pain), followed by stiffness of the neck, difficulty in swallowing, and stiffness of the abdominal muscles. Other signs are fever, sweating, elevated blood pressure, and rapid heart rate.

It is unlikely you are experiencing these symptoms so early, it is better you take the TT (tetanus toxoid)dose and the booster at the earliest.