Bruised feeling under ribs and pain in kidney. Have elevated liver enzymes. Proper diagnosis?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
The area directly under my rib feels bruised and when I push on it, my LEFT kidney hurts? There has been no trauma to the area. Last lab draw I had low liver enzymes (never had abnormal liver enzymes) - at that time I was on a medrol dose pack for pain in my shoulder so I am hoping that the steriod is what messed with that test? I have had microscopic blood in my urine with unknown origin (bladder and kidney testing a year ago yielded nothing wrong). I do not ever drink alcohol
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 31 minutes later
thanks for writing in.
In view of the symptoms described by you I would suggest the following investigations
1. USG of the entire abdomen.
2. Coagulation profile.
3. Renal function tests
4. 2D echo for cardiac evaluation.
There is a high likelihood of the symptoms being related to steroid use or valvular disease.If everything turns out to be normal then just symptomatic treatment will suffice. But it would be advisable to get yourself properly evaluated.
I hope this answers your querry.
Follow-up: Bruised feeling under ribs and pain in kidney. Have elevated liver enzymes. Proper diagnosis? 10 minutes later
Just had a full cardiac eval. Wore a monitor for thirty days after echo and stress test. Showed Sinus Tach. My questions is why would my left kidney hurt (sharp shooting pain when I lay down and push on the area that feels bruised on my right side under the rib? I do not bruise easily. No blood in stool. No N/V. Area under right rib does not hurt unless touched. Not with coughing or bending -- the area on the left lower back just above hip hurts only if I push on the area of the liver while laying down......Is that liver problem or kidney problem?
The steriods I took over one month ago and only took for three days - took the six , five, four.....then stopped because I was not feeling too good and it wasn';t helping the pain in my left shoulder (caused from a seatbelt in a car accident in September). Had all of those test ultrasound of kidneys, ct of kidneys, approx 8 months ago. Also had the bladder looked at directly by a physician --- they all show nothing. Kidney tests have always been normal, except the microscopic hematuria I know it needs to be looked into further, but am just interested to know why I would have referred pain in my left kidney when I palpate right under my ribs on the right side -- are you aware of any specific disease process that would cause this?
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later
thanks for the feedback.
From the additional information which you have provided it is clear that your heart is ok and that the kidney grossly does not have any problem. But microscopic hematuria can be due to medical renal disease. however if blood tests for renal function are normal you need not worry. If the ultrasound of the abdomen too is normal then it is must be musculoaponeurotic pain. There is no specific disease which fits into your description of symptoms. If you experience pain under the right rib cage while taking a XXXXXXX breath then it can be attributed to a condition called epidemic pleurodyna which is a self remitting viral disease.
In that case just symptomatic supportive care is all that is required.
I hope this answers your doubt.