Bruised bicep, no pain. Did not hit anything. Worried

I am a healthy 28 year old male. Tonight, my bicep is bruised all over. It does not hurt to touch, nor do i remember bumping it or hitting it on anything. This is quite unusual for me. I have taken a photo of my arm and attached it. or words or words to ease a worried mind would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
Bruising does not occur without any reason.
After going through the report attached here, It looks more likely to be Actinic purpura or Bateman's purpura which is essentially a skin disease associated with people who are younger, although it can occur in people from any age group.

Treatment includes cream tretinoin to be applied on lesions [ if lesions persists]. Lesions usually take 2-3 weeks to fade off and it goes off even if you do not apply cream.

I would recommend you to get hemoglobin checked as anemia itself can cause easy bruising.
Remember if you are taking any blood thinners or alcohol or steroids which can also cause such lesions. If yes, then consult your physician as you need to stop them.

So wait for 2-3 weeks till lesions fade off. If lesions persists after that and spread or become tender in-between you need to consult physician to rule out blood disorders.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.