Bruise with lump on the ribs of a 3 year old. Getting bigger. Should be worried?

My son is going to be 3 yrs old in March and I found a bruise on his ribs that has a white bump/lump in the center. At first I thought It would go away on its own, but It seems like it's getting bigger. What could it be?? Should I be worried??
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 34 minutes later

It is little difficult to interpret with the description you have given. Could you get back to me with more details so that I can help you better?

1. Is there any history of trauma to the ribs? Is it on one side only?
2. Does it hurt when you touch it?
3. You have mentioned that it feels like a lump/bump, is it mobile? Is it soft or hard?
4. From what size to what size has it grown and how long did it take?

The ideal thing to do would be to upload a picture of the bruise in the option given to you. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Kindly get back to me with the answers, I am awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Bruise with lump on the ribs of a 3 year old. Getting bigger. Should be worried? 36 hours later
He has not had any Trauma to the ribs that his father or I know of. It didnt hurt at first, but know he doesnt want us to touch it which makes me think that it bothers him. It's not mobile and it's tender but hard right in the center. He ahs had it for a week and it grew within 3 days and now it seems like it's going away. Actually it is going away. There is hardly any bsuising left but the bump is stil there, it also has diminished in size. I just hope that its not a sign or a serious medical condition.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 hours later

It most certainly looks like a bruise; he might have hit himself somewhere. It certainly does not sound like a serious issue. I am glad it is going away. You can do the following to help it heal faster

1. Calamine lotion will bring in soothening effect and also reduce the tenderness. Apply generously three times a day.
2. Warm packs over the area will help. Please be careful not to burn the skin as it is the most common complication.
3. If the tenderness persists then please XXXXXXX a pediatrician.

I wish your son a speedy recovery.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further ones please accept my answer.