Bruise very easily without real trauma to skin. Had Vitamin K problem in childhood. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I bruise very very easily often with small bruises about 2-3 mm appearing randomly, but sometimes much bigger without any real trauma to my skin. I was known to have a vit.K problem when young, don't remember the details and am now 71 years - female.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for posting your query.
The commonest cause for spontaneous bruises on the skin is related to aspirin or steroid use. Since you are not using aspirin or steroid, we need to exclude any blood disorders. Investigations helpful would be:

1. Platelet count
2. Bleeding time,
3. Clotting time,
4. Prothrombin time,
5. Partial thromboplastin time

Please get back with reports.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar