Bruise over ankle for a long time, hepatitis C infection, bruise tender to touch, under the skin. Blood clot?

I have had a bruise over my ankle since march. is this normal for some people?

Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you have described.

It is actually possible as you have described for a patient to have a bruise which persists for many months. There are several factors which may play a role in explaining why you are experiencing this. One possible explanation would be that you have a mild degree of peripheral vascular disease which is a normal process in most patients. this happens as we get a little bit older and such minor injuries can cause persistent bruising.

Certain other things may also play a role. Smoking is especially important in considering this. People who smoke have more issues with this type of concern. you do have a medical history including a process which affects your liver function. It is important that you had your liver function tested on a regular basis because the liver can cause problems with bleeding and bruising. This is something you should discuss with your doctor.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Bruise over ankle for a long time, hepatitis C infection, bruise tender to touch, under the skin. Blood clot? 23 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I don't smoke, but I do have hepatitis C. I was wondering if this could be a blood clot. It looks like a bruise, and if I push down on it it is still slightly tender to the touch and I feel a tiny bump under it.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later
Hello again and thanks for the followup.

I doubt this is a blood clot. The Hep C can sometimes cause the body to have delayed blood clotting and an increased likelihood for bleeding and bruising with minor trauma. The tenderness and bump are likely due to the formation of a bruise and a mild degree of inflammation in the area.

I would recommend a general followup with your doctor with some screening labs to make sure your blood counts and liver function are normal. Otherwise I expect the area to improve in your ankle over the next 2 to 4 weeks.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my responses to be informative. Please accept my response if you have no additional concerns.

Dr. Galamaga