Bruise on the leg. No itching or pain. What could it be?

skin isse on legI have a bruise looking thing on my leg that looks like a horseshoe. it isn't itchy or burning or hurting. do you know what this might be?

Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 hours later
Hi again ,

Lesions you are describing may be insect bite ,purpura, contact dermatitis, pigmented purpuric dermatitis etc.

If you will describe the skin lesions in terms of duration of lesions/ number/exact site/ flat or raised it will be helpful in predicting the condition.

Also photos of the affected area under good sunlight will be helpful. You can upload them by using the feature on right hand side of the page.

Anticipating your reply.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Bruise on the leg. No itching or pain. What could it be? 32 minutes later
its one lesion and exact size is 2.5 inches long and one inch wide. it is flat and looks the color of bruise strawberry mixed. I don't see how to send photos. I have an android phone and might not work with this phone?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for details.

Your description seems to be related to purpura. A good quality picture of the affected region would have helped me immensely. If you are not able to upload the pictures here, you can mail them to my attention (Attn Dr. Sudarshan) at YYYY@YYYY

Purpura can be caused by multitude of things like trauma, drugs, infection, blood disorders, etc. When single and small, it is of no significance. But if you get these recurrently then you may have undergo certain blood tests.

Single purpura lesion will get resolved on its own in few days. Nothing more needs to be done in your case apart from regular observation.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask them.

Wish you good health

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Bruise on the leg. No itching or pain. What could it be? 21 hours later
thank you! I sent pictures but they aren't great quality. I just have one now, I am hoping it will go away but has yet to go away and been about a week.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thanks for sending the pictures. I was able to view the images.

Though they are not very clear, after careful examination of the pictures, my opinion remains the same as mentioned above.

It is good to know the lesions are fading away. You need not worry with the current single lesion.
Though if they recur in multiple or larger in size, a consultation should be sought.

Hope I have been helpful. If you are convinced with my answer, please close this discussion and rate my answer. Yet, if you have missed out on any other concerns, I will be glad to assist you further.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sudarshan