Bruise on the groin and thighs after an accident, hard lumps under the skin. How can this be treated?

Oncologist, Surgical
I crashed my 4wheeler into my house and my groin/thigh area took the brunt of the impact. There was a lot of bad bruising (bigger than a pancake) in this area.

Now the bruising is gone and there is a hard lumpy thing under the skin near the crease between my thigh and groin and about the size of a cigarette lighter.

I'm wondering what is this lump and how can I get it to go away?
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 3 hours later

Sorry to hear about your accident and I am glad that you are seeking medical attention for your problems.

Following the accident, you must have developed a hematoma, which takes sometime to resolve. To hasten this process, you can take some anti-inflammatory medicines (like advil), which can even take care of the pain.
It can even be a small lymph node, which might have enlarged in response to the bruising and will go away in due course of time and nothing much can be done to hasten the process in that case.

It is not something you should worry about a lot but if it persists for more than a week, you should consult your doctor and get an ultrasound done.

Hope you get well soon.