Bruise on belly, no pain. Am pregnant. Is this normal?

Good morning.
I am in the early stages of pregnancy, 8 weeks. So far have been feeling fine apart from some standard things like breast tenderness, constipation, tiredness etc. First Pregnancy.
I have noticed a bruise on my belly in between my pelvis and my belly button. This does not hurt and I do not recall ever bumping it etc.
Is this normal? Should I go to a doctor?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Radhika 48 minutes later

The symptoms like breast tenderness, constipation, tiredness are commonly seen during early stages of pregnancy.

Bruising around belly button and pelvis is not unusual in general, but isn't particularly more common during pregnancy. It can be due to problems with the blood's ability to clot due to deficiency in clotting factors, or changes in the skin that makes it thinner and less protective. Sometimes it could be due to minor injuries as well.

But if they are repetitive and bigger than a couple of inches, you should see your doctor for evaluation and blood tests.

Also regarding the Chinese herbs you are taking is the lack of human clinical trials for the majority of herbal supplements. The FDA does not regulate herbs so the safety, purity and efficacy of these products vary greatly, according to the American Pregnancy Association.

Consumers have little information available to them regarding the quality of the products they use. Government agencies do not guarantee the health and safety of you and your baby when using herbal supplements. In some cases, the use of a combination of herbs can lead to problems with pregnancy, including miscarriage.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Follow-up: Bruise on belly, no pain. Am pregnant. Is this normal? 33 minutes later
Thank you, very informative. Could this also be due to low iorn or straining during passing bowel movements?
I heed your advice also on the herbs, thanks.
Just trying to think of things I could do to avoid this happening in the future?
Answered by Dr. Radhika 12 hours later

Thank you for your appreciation.
A low iron level or straining at stools is unlikely to cause such symptoms.
If your deficiency is due to a poor dietary intake of iron, it can be increased through diet and pills. XXXXXXX sources of iron include:
•     Meat, poultry and fish
•     Fruits and vegetables
•     Nuts and legumes (Lima, chili and kidney beans)
•     Enriched cereals and grains

Your healthcare provider will suggest iron supplements to correct the iron deficiency. Make sure that you take them on an empty stomach and avoiding food for atleast 1/2 an hour as the iron is better absorbed on an empty stomach.

The various tests that need to be done are:
•     Activated Partial Thromboplastin Time (aPTT)
•     Prothrombin time
•     Bleeding Time (BT)
•     Platelet Count
•     White Blood Cell Count
•     Serum Ferritin
•     Total iron-binding capacity
•     Hemoglobin levels

Other than this, I would advise you not to consume alcohol and tobacco during pregnancy. Also, have a healthy balanced diet and XXXXXXX your gynaecologist for regular follow ups.