Bruise on back of legs,bright blue bruise

ENT Specialist
I have unexplained bruising on the back of my leg below my knees. It first started on my left leg and now it it bright blue on my right leg.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for the query,

Well, there are many causes of bruising. Now let me discuss about this entity.
The most common causes being:
1. Iron deficiency anemia;
2. Hypothyroidism;
3. Thrombocytopenia (decreased number of platelets - small blood cells needed to clot blood);
4. Side effect of some medications like cortisone;
5. Von Willebrand's disease, which can be diagnosed only through special blood testing (approximately 1/100 are thought to have this).

If you are feeling concerned about the amount of bruising you're having, talk to your doctor and get tests done. First of all the doctor will try to evaluate the cause, by different blood tests. then the medications will be accordingly.

In general the treatment of bruise is as follows--

1-Hot and cold compressions and just rub it to get the circulation going in that area.

2-Drink little more water to increase electrolytes in your body.

3-Take Aspirin.

4-Apply the counter creams like Cortisone( steroid)

5- Take vitamin and mineral supplementation.

Try these for atleast 15 days.

Hope, it will help you. I wish you early recovery. If you have more queries, I am ready available to address them.