Bruise on back of hand, numbness on white spot of bruise, hurts only on applying pressure

Orthopaedic Surgeon
yesterday morning I woke with no bruising on the back of my hand, by early afternoon I noticed a small bruise forming, but cannot recall hitting anything. By dinner the bruise had grown to the size of a dollar coin and is a XXXXXXX purple with a perfectly white round spot in the center! It doesn't hurt or feel like a bruise, but if I run my finger over it the white spot has no sensation as if it's numb. But if I press on the bruise it doesn't hurt until I push on the white spot.
Please help :). Thanks, Curious
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

Have you any recollection of being bitten by a bug at the site ?

Any itching over the bruised site ?

Any other bruises over your body, bleeding nose, gums, blood in urine or stool ?

Have you had this problem before ?

Does anyone in your family have a similar problem ?

In most cases, the person may not remember any previous trauma to the site of bruising, which may have been sustained during XXXXXXX sleep which may have gone un-noticed.

Other causes can be possible insect bite or rash due to Blister beetle which is also associated with itching, blood problems like platelet abnormalities, clotting disturbances etc.

There can be many possible causes for the same. It is advisable to get a thorough checkup especially if you find any more bruises over your body or bleeding from any part of your body. A thorough investigation may be needed in the form of blood work and other necessary tests.

You may apply Thrombophob gel under medical supervision to 'clear' the bruise after consulting with your Doctor which may help.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Bruise on back of hand, numbness on white spot of bruise, hurts only on applying pressure 2 hours later
The site hasn't itched or hurt at all. In fact the only reason I know it's there, is because of the size and color! I forgot to mention that the white spot in the center there seems to be a hard lump about the size of a bead. I e-mailed a photo to customer care, because I couldn't on my query. As for a possible bug bite, I don't think so - I live in Alaska and the temp. hasnt been above 12 degrees in weeks! There were a few cases of Scabies in town a few weeks ago, but I've done my research and this cannot be scabies! I'd like to thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for getting back to me so quickly :) I would like to know, if the bruise hasn't started to show signs of disappearing - even if I'm not bleeding anywhere else, should I go to the clinic anyway? I have just started my menstrual period - that wouldn't cause any alarm should it? Thanks again and I hope to hear from you soon! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 24 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.

Since you say there is a white lump in the centre it is possible it could be a bug bite like a mosquito bite.

It is not an immediate necessity to go to your Doctor. Keep a watch on the bruise, if it is not subsiding in few days it would be better to get it looked at.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing good health.