Bruise on abdomen. History of pancreatitis. Have divisium. What could this be?

Hi there, I have divisium (pancreas) and I've had pancreaitis twice and had to be hospitalized. I was getting ready for bed last night and noticed a big bruise on my abdomen. I didn't injure myself and it doesn't hurt. Is this something that I should seek medical attention for? Do you know what this could be? Thanks for yor advice!
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would advise you to definitely visit the doctor.

The two possibilities I can think of in your case is

1.Blunt trauma, if there was trauma to the abdomen as in if your abdomen bumped into a hard object.(which is not serious, gets better on its own)

2. Uncommon signs, yet possible is another episode of pancreatitis.
a. Cullen's sign-- which is a bluish discoloration around the umbilicus.
b. Grey Turner's sign --- reddish brown discoloration on the flanks.

In the presence of abdominal pain, vomiting , diarrhoea or fever, along with the above signs, please visit a doctor as soon as possible

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan