Bruise appeared on thigh after scratching. Why is this happening?

Jun 2013
All of sudden I get this urge to scratch my outer thigh After I scratch it a few times it starts hurting and than in a couple of hours it turns into a bruise than hurts when even slight pressure is applied This happened about four times this year already Why is this happening?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 1 hour later
Hi there,

I understand you have multiple medical conditions. I am glad your kidneys are fine but your atrial tachycardia needs to be treated with medication. I hope you are seeing a cardiologist for the same.

With regards to your swollen collar bone it seems like you can treat it with over the counter analgesics and anti-inflammatory medications. I hope this helps, or else you may have to see an orthopedician to make sure you have no other condition, esp. fractures in your collar bone area.

Your urge to scratch could be related to your medical condition / allergy, (anything you may not have mentioned in your history above) or it could be eczema for which you would need to contact a qualified dermatologist. You could however use over the counter anti-itch medications like caladryl and try see if this helps ease your condition. I hope this helps. If it does not then you will definitely benefit from seeing a skin specialist.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Bruise appeared on thigh after scratching. Why is this happening? 20 hours later
I do see a cardiologist and they said no medicine is needed at this time. No fractures of the collar bone had x-rays. Not eczema in this area was noted by a dermatologist over a year ago. I am not taking any medications and am taking vitamin c and vitamin D recommended doses. The itching doesn't last long because like i said it starts to hurt than I stop and than it turns into a bruise. So, any other reasons why this might be happening?
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 5 hours later
Itching / Urge to scratch are associated with few psychological conditions. I have evaluated and treated many such patients. Hence I wished to help you.

Since you wish for a general physician's assistance, XXXXXXX administrators have noted your concern and will forward your query to a general and family physician.

Please close this discussion and you may continue with the physicians.

Wish you good luck!!