Bruise appeared on thigh after scratching. Hurts to touch. Why is this happening?

All of sudden I get this urge to scratch my outer thigh After I scratch it a few times it starts hurting and than in a couple of hours it turns into a bruise than hurts when even slight pressure is applied This happened about four times this year already Why is this happening?

I do see a cardiologist and they said no medicine is needed at this time. No fractures of the collar bone had x-rays. Not eczema in this area was noted by a dermatologist over a year ago. I am not taking any medications and am taking vitamin c and vitamin D recommended doses. The itching doesn't last long because like i said it starts to hurt than I stop and than it turns into a bruise. So, any other reasons why this might be happening?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

I went through the details submitted with diligence. I understand your concern regarding urge to scratch and the subsequent pain and bruising. This kind of reaction where skin starts to bruise and hurts after a scratch is referred to as wheal/welts. It is a normal phenomenon seen with all individual. However a small subset of people have an exaggerated response. The exaggerated response is referred to as dermographic urticaria or simply dermographism.

Your description is similar to the presentation of dermographism. If you have a picture of the lesion I may be able to confirm it. You can upload the pictures using the site's uploader feature available on this page.

Mast cell stabilizer and antihistamines are helpful in all urticarial conditions. I am sure they should help you too. I suggest you try these after discussing with your local physician/dermatologist.

In the interim topical antihistamines like claritine over the areas affected. Alcohol has been reported as useful in some websites.

I hope this has been useful. Let me know if you need clarifications.