Bruise appeared on belly button. Tender to touch. Any solution?

Dec 2012

I have a 2 inch by 1 inch dark purple/black oblong looking bruise appear to the right hand side of my belly button. This is slightly tender however, I do not recall injuring myself at any point!! I do not drink or smoke and am in good XXXXXXX very fit and 41 years old in may this year. Any suggestions what this may be? Thanks. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 33 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX
From your description it is most probable that you are having a form of idiopathic purpura known as spontaneous ecchymoses. Ecchymoses are purpuric lesions larger than 3 mm in diameter. They may result from trauma or a clotting factor disorder, as well as from a vascular or platelet problem. In your case since there is no notion of injury or trauma we might be able to justify it presence as a clotting factor disorder or blockage of capillary blood vessels (that supply the subdermal or skin region). The bruising or tender feeling is as a result of possible associated inflammation of the skin due to poor oxygen supply (of that area). If my impression is just (given the fact that I can not actually see the lesion), then you might require some topical steroid lotion/cream and maybe anticoagulant medication but you will be required to see a doctor who can run a series of tests to determine if this actually a coagulation disorder before treating.
Another possibility based on your description is cellulitis (inflammation due to infection of the dermis or skin). Treatment will a course of antibiotics will be required.
Before taking any action first discuss with your doctor and let him see the lesion.
It might require no actual treatment.

Hope this will be helpful
Dr Nsah