Bruise and numbness appeared on calf, feels warm to touch. Looking for cure

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My calf was struck with a heavy pieceof wood recently. It was severely bruised in coloration which has since faded away(about 3 days ago). But, there is an area below the calf that is hard and seems to be a bit warmer to the touch. It is also a little numb in the hardened area. I haven't been able to massage it as much as I would like nor have I really applied ice/heat to it.

Any suggestions to loosen the hardness or to alleviate the warmth from the area?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

From description it seems to be soft tissue injury over calf . Hard area below calf might be due to haematoma formation(collection of blood).

Apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.