Brownish spotting, next period started very soon. Could I be pregnant or is this normal?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I started my period on November 11th last month. It completely ended 3 days later. I then had brownish spotting a few days later early in the morning. I started my period today not even a month between periods. It's more brown then the normal red. Normally I have a 37 day cycle. Could I be pregnant or is this normal?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 30 minutes later
Normal menstrual cycles are usually of 28_30 day intervals with 3_7 day duration of bleeding without clots.A 37 day interval is a bit long, but since you have no complaints it is likely to be a variation of normal.
Red or brown bleeding both are normal if no or minimal clots, if you are passing lots of clots then it indicates heavy menses but that too can be a variant of normal.
Now in your case your cycle has come in 27 days and brown bleeding which would be normal if you have no other complaints.As such it is not a sign of pregnancy.
The symptoms like pain, dizziness and nausea are also I do not think this is more likely to be pregnancy rather a normal variant or mild hormonal imbalance which should resolve on it's own.
If you still wish to confirm then wait for your periods to finish and get an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis done to rule out any mass in uterus or pregnancy.
Alternatively you can confirm pregnancy with urine pregnancy kit or blood test for beta hcg after completing your period.
I would advise there is at present no need to worry, so you should just get a urine pregnancy test after a wk and most likely it would be negative and relieve your doubts,then you can
wait for your next period, if that is early or heavy then consult your gynaecologist and get ultrasound done to rule out any fibroid or ovarian mass or hormonal imbalance.
So relax and have patience, mostly you are fine .
Hope I have answered your query.