Brownish mucus in the stool. No constipation. Should I go for tests?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hello i have a quistion ive been finding a brown gooie or jelly like substance in my poop and im worried ab it it doesnt happen all the time though.and its wierd because in the mornings and after lunch my poop is normal without that gooie stuff in it and i have no problem pooping but it always hapens later in the afternoons or evenings and sometimes i feel like i have to poop but i cant when i try..i know im not constipated cause i poop 2 or 3 times a day im just worried ab it and wonder if i should get it checked out...
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

Your symptoms might be sugesstive of infection in digestive tract (Bacterial/viral/parasitic) or any anorectal pathology or an inflammatory disorder of gut. It may be associated with mucus or occult blood in stool.

Constipation if absent then too straining during excretion can cause significant complications.

I would advise you get a basic stool routine test done and if positive for occult blood or mucus or pus cells, then consult a gastroenterologist for thorough clinical evaluation and investigation.

Sometimes certain foodstuffs can cause allergy too thereby causing a problem only when those foodstuffs are ingested especially eggs, nuts, seafood and dairy products.

If you notice any relation of your diet and such stool do inform your doctor about it and try to avoid such foods.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.