Brown waxy discharge from my belly button. Had ovary removal. Any suggestion?

General Surgeon
Hello. Over the last month or so I have been having a brown waxy discharge from my belly button. Sometimes it is crusty and when I get it out there is like a yellow pus substance in deeper. It is sore but not red. the outer part of my belly button is not sore just way down deep is. Again it is a hard brown wax like substance and yellow pus like in deeper. I have a gyno appt. next week. I thought I better check with him, as I had an ovary removed last year. Although my appt. is next week, this really bothers me. Any suggestions will be of help to me. I appreciate your time. XXXX
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

If you have had laparoscopy in the past and the discharge is in the scar area, your symptoms can be caused by stitches which irritate tissues and cause a mild infection. Endometriosis is also possible if there is a scar in belly button.
Discharge from the belly button can be also caused by urachus, which connects umbilicus with urinary bladder. This connection usually disappears after a birth but for unknown reason it can stay active.
Urachus gives discharges from the belly button which can smell really bad and cause an infection.
I suggest you to have an ultrasound first. If urachus seems most probable, surgeon should be consulted. If endometriosis is possible, gynecologist should be consulted.
Stitches can be removed by a surgeon.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.