Brown spotting after normal periods. Ovulation starts. No yeast infection. What could be the reason?

Yes my name is faith and I had normal period and it pasted from April 24- 28 and then now I have had brown spotting ever since its light like when you are coming off your period no itching no burning and no odor this is the first time I am suppose to start ovulation today and me and my husband are trying to have another baby but we only have alot sex when I am ovulating that when we have the most sex but I have not ever had a yeast infection or anything like that so I just want to know why
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 52 minutes later
Hi, I would be happy to help you today.

If your period started on 4/24, that is the day that we call 'cycle day #1'. Today, you are cycle day #15. You are correct in that this is the time that you are likely to ovulate.

The spotting might be completely normal, but possibilities for irregular bleeding include:

1. Not ovulating or ovulating in an unpredictable way
2. Some change in uterine anatomy - such as the development of polyps
3. Infections - but it sounds unlikely given what you said above

Here is what I would recommend.

1. Go ahead and have intercourse
2. If the bleeding does not stop within the week, consider calling your doctor for an ultrasound

I hope this helps!
Follow-up: Brown spotting after normal periods. Ovulation starts. No yeast infection. What could be the reason? 3 days later
Yes the bleeding has stopped and we had intercourse for the first time last night and there has been no bleeding. But my question is could I be pregnant? Last night something felt different and I don't know how to explain and it made me think I might be pregnant but I had a negative pregnancy test but I think if I was it would be to early to pick that is why I ask if I might be pregnant is that a possibility with the spotting I had even though I had a normal period and then the spotting is that a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for asking for further clarification.

So you had intercourse just beyond midcycle. If you conceived THIS month, the fetus has not even implanted in the uterine wall, and there is no increase in pregnancy related hormones yet - so if you are newly pregnant this month, I don't think you would have symptoms yet. And also, if you conceived just last night, obviously the test would not turn positive for a couple of weeks.

If you conceived last month, I would have expected the test to be positive by now. Sometimes women get bleeding with implantation at about 4 weeks, but that is also when the test turns positive.

I am sorry that I am not able to give you a more hopeful answer. Consider some of my other comments in my prior answer and let me know if you have more questions.

Good luck and thank you!