Brown spots on skin, small bumps on left arm. Is it serious?

ENT Specialist
I am a 34 year old asian american male, 140 lbs, 5'6" never had sun issues before. I usually XXXXXXX well and evenly and don't really burn. I went to the beach for the first time this summer and used SPF 15 and now have 30 or so brown spots on my skin only on my left forearm and right above my stomach. they are about 1/8 inch in diameter. I also have a handful of small bumps now only on my left arm. Is this serious? Do I need to send a picture?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 3 hours later

Sunburn is condition that occurs to skin that has been overexposed to the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. Too much time in the sun without protection can result in redness, pain, and even blisters.

Well, you are suffering from sunburn, this condition may be serious, in case , there is prolonged and chronic exposure.

White Distilled Vinegar is an old remedy, it works wonders. It smells terrible, but it pulls the heat out and makes the sting go away! If you put it on and let it soak in over night, you'll wake up in the morning feeling quite a bit better.

Then use a lotion with an SPF of at least 15 everyday from now on.( but you are still using 30, its ok.) The cosmetics aisle of most major retail stores will have facial lotions- look for those that have the SPF factor.

Don't use regular sunblock though because it will clog your pores and make you break out with acne pimples all over your face.

Ice packs and cold cloths will also help to minimize the length of time that you have redness.

Make sure that you drink PLENTY of water, in order to keep your body hydrated so you don't develop a fever. If you do develop a fever, take an acetaminophen or an ibuprofen, or any NSAID. to help get rid of the fever and to minimize inflammation and swelling.

Hope it will help you.

Follow-up: Brown spots on skin, small bumps on left arm. Is it serious? 2 days later
I don't think you understand. I am not sunburnt at all. My skin looks perfectly normal except for the brown spots. I do not feel them at all. they are not uncomfortable. My question is what are these brown spots and what are the small bumps? Is this something serious?
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 4 hours later

I understood your question. Actually, the brown spots and bumps on your body is due to the delayed hypersensitivity reaction of skin to sun.

In simple words, when the external surface of body comes in contact with the sun, then there occurs activation of melanocytes in the skin, and due to this the number of these melanocytes increaes, that leads to brown spot formation over the skin.

Some persons are more sensitive, than others for similar amount of exposure.

Dont worry for this condition, its just a minor allergic reaction.

Treatment to be taken---

1- Avoid direct exposure to sun.
2- Maintain hydration.
3- Take some anti allergic drug like levocetrizine, loratadine once a day. They are available over the counter.

Do not worry you will be all right with in 7 days of treatment.