Brown spots on legs and feet. Suggestions?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have developed numerous brown spots, 1-3 mm in diameter, on my legs and feet. This has happened over the course of just one week. I'm a White 50 yr old female.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Do you have any symptoms (like itching or pain) over the brown spots?
2) Do these spots blanch on pressure ?
3) Are these spots slightly raised above the skin level?

Along with the answers to the above questions ,if you can post me a close up picture of the lesions it would help me answer you better.
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.

There is a possibility that it could be a seborrheic keratosis ,which is very common at this age and is usually seen over the legs.Hypothyroidism also makes the skin dry and thus can precipitate seborrheic keratosis.
The second possibility could be of senile echymosis (senile purpura),which is again very common at this age.This can happen on any trivial trauma.
Both these conditions are very benign & doesn't require any urgent treatment.

But if you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow-up: Brown spots on legs and feet. Suggestions? 6 hours later
Hi-Thank you for your quick reply. There is no pain or itching over the brown spots. They do not blanch on pressure. The lighter spots are flat, but the many of the darker ones are a little raised. I am attaching a picture of my leg, showing the lighter spots, and my foot showing the darker ones.
My concern is that they seemed to appear overnight. I had not been out in the sun.
Thank you-XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 18 hours later
Hi!

Thank you for the reply,

I am sorry ,but I couldn't find the picture you have attached .I should see it at the right side of the page.I would repeat that you have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

According to your answers to my questions it seems to be seborrheic keratosis .This is a benign condition which comes with age.For cosmetic reasons you can get it removed with the help of lasers .You need to visit a dermatologist for the procedure.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.If you can post a picture then I can guide you further on the same.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Brown spots on legs and feet. Suggestions? 15 hours later
thank you-I re-attached the pictures. I hope you get them. After you see the pictures and are still comfortable with your dx, or change your impression, I will accept. Thank you for the protracted communication!

Hi!XXXXXXX ,

Thank you for posting the pictures,

I would still go with my previous diagnosis of seborrhiec keratosis .I don't think you should be worried about these ones except for cosmetic reasons.You can go in for lasers if required.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.