Brown spots on groin region. Fungus?

Odd Spots on Groin Area :

I have just noticed some rings on my groin region. They are skin colored rings with some brown color inside the ring itself. I have about four of these circles around my groin region and the size of them are way less then a dime. One of them seems to be a little bit inward and the other three are barely raised. I was thinking these were some kind of fungus. What do you think these are and how do you treat them. I have been treating jock itch and have been applying cream to these as well and it seems to be helping it. I just wanted a second opinion. Thank you much.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

The skin lesion that you are describing is suggestive of Tinea Cruris, a superficial dermatophytic fungal infection of the groin area.
Treatment consists of oral as well as topical antifungal drugs.

As I believe that more information can help a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions:
•     Can you please tell me more about the treatment that you are receiving?
•     Does the lesion itch? If yes, how severe is it?
•     Do you have any similar lesions on any other part of the body like the trunk or the underarm area?

However there can be many other conditions with similar presentation. I would suggest that you visit your general practitioner or a dermatologist so that the lesion can be examined and appropriate therapy can be prescribed.

It would be great if you could upload a picture of the lesion using the “Upload your reports” section on the right. Alternatively, you can email them to me at YYYY@YYYY with the following subject ATTN to Dr Sudarshan.

Awaiting your response.
Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Brown spots on groin region. Fungus? 5 days later
As far as treatment I've been using antigungal cream. The lesion does not itch and only appears in the groin region. There's no redness or puss or anything like that. It might have been here a long time do to the fact its not noticeable except for the ring. Does ring worm blend in with the surrounding area after a long time? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If you are using antifungal cream then continue with it .

Ringworm can blend with surrounding skin.

For complete clearance of lesions, it may take 6 weeks or slightly more.

You can apply Sertaconazole, Terfinafin, Eberconazole as antifungal medication after consulting your doctor.

Also after treatment of tinea infection, post inflammatory hyperpigmentation may remain for some weeks before skin appears normal.

Hope, this answers your query. If you have no further query then accept my answer.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sudarshan.