Ask a Urologist   »  

Brown spots in underwear, no pain while urinating. Had long bike rides and hikes. Should I be overly concerned?

I'm a 46 year-old male in good health. I just noticed some tiny, brown spots in the front of my underwear. I haven't experienced any noticeable pain when urinating. I have been on some very long bike rides and hikes over the past month. Should I be overly concerned or just tell my doctor at my next physical in January?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 29 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The fact that you have seen these spots on your underwear is certainly concerning. this is more than likely something which is benign but we still need to take it seriously and have it worked up appropriately. I suggest that you contact your doctor as soon as possible and let him know about what you are experiencing.

Your doctor may recommend that you submit a urine sample for a complete analysis. It is possible that what you are experiencing is secondary to a mild inflammation of your prostate.

I would not necessarily wait until your scheduled appointment in January. I prefer to have these things investigated much sooner in order to treat something if there is an infection for example, also in requesting a complete urinalysis your doctor can have the laboratory evaluation for any abnormal cells within the urine which might reflect a problem within the kidney.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Brown spots in underwear, no pain while urinating. Had long bike rides and hikes. Should I be overly concerned? 13 minutes later

Thank you for the quick and thorough response. It's Saturday, so is this something that will wait until next week and not something that I should go to urgent care today about?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 hours later

Thanks for following up.

I think you can safely wait until Monday, but please be sure to followup with your doctor by Monday morning.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

I wish you all the best and continued good health.

Dr. Galamaga