Brown spot on toe, done testing, no family history of melanoma. Worried about cancer

Question
I had a tiny "freckle" removed from the inside of my toe last week and the site where the mole was is brown. I'm very worried this is skin cancer and it is being sent off for pathology. I am under a lot of stress and worry about this and wonder if the brown spots in the wound is a bad sign of the news I will get this coming week. The spot was round but had a small jagged edge on one side and had been there for at least 5 years with no noticeable
Change. I decided to have it looked into because of an article I read about freckles and moles on feet. My husband thinks the remaining brown spots are from the cauterization of the site. I can almost not function because I'm so scared. No one in my family has had melanoma but cancers are common. My doctor just said "I wouldn't lose any sleep over it XXXXXXX with no other explanation.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
HI XXXXXXX
A CHANGE IN A FRECKLE'S SIZE SHAPE COLOR TEMPERATURE ROUGHENING OF IT'S SURFACE INHOMOGENEITY OF IT'S COLOR OR PAIN AND BLEEDING FROM IT SHOULD BE TAKEN UP QUITE SERIOUSLY BECAUSE IT MAY BE A VERY EARLY INDICATION OF BEING A CANCEROUS CHANGE INTO MALINGNANT MELANOMA.
MALIGNANT MELANOMA IS A KILLER DISEASE AND SPREADS VERY EARLY AND ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO TREAT ONCE SPREAD.
I HOPE YOU HAVE GOT IT REMOVED AND BIOPSIED IT IN TIME TO MAKE SURE IT HAS NOT TURNED MALIGNANT.
I THINK THERE SHOULD BE NO REASON TO BE STRESSED, THE LESION HAS BEEN RESECTED AND YOU WOULD GET THE HISTOPATHOLOGY REPORT SOON.
YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE A NICE MOVE, LET'S HOPE EVERYTHING TURNS TO BE OKAY
I WISH A GOOD HEALTH FOR YOU.

Follow-up: Brown spot on toe, done testing, no family history of melanoma. Worried about cancer 29 minutes later
My concern is the remaining brown parts in the removal site. Does this mean it's definately cancer or could it just be from cauterization of the area?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 54 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare magic!
No surgeon would like to leave the problem behind his surgery.
I think it is not the part of tumor, they might be procedure related marks- possibly cautery etc.
Still ask the surgeon to be doubly sure because a remnant melanoma is the worst thing to remain behind.
I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!