Brown spot on hip,red ring,itchy,pimple,stretch mark

ok yesterday i had a brown spot on my hipthat looked like a freckle, tonight it has a red ring around it and it is itchy, it just looks like a red ringed i go get it checkedout, also another spot much smaller appeared today a few inches above it, and right beside that appeared a XXXXXXX that looks like a short stubby stretch XXXXXXX but it really dont thinkitwas there yester day, and i dont know what to do????
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 42 minutes later

From the site, description of rash and the way it is spreading, tinea corporis needs to be ruled out. It is a fungal infection of the skin that presents with itchy round lesions on the body and edge of the rash appears elevated. It is scaly to touch.

You need to get it checked from a Primary Physician / Dermatologist and get a physical examination. It may also need KOH examination of skin scrapings from the site. If it is a fungal infection like tinea corporis then you may need topical antifungals for this rash.

Most cases of ring worm respond to over-the-counter products, which contain any of several basic ingredients: miconazole, tolnaftate, terbinafine, ketaconazole and clotrimazole. Your doctor knows about it.

Till then wear cotton clothes and try to keep the area as dry as possible. Please send me a photo of the lesion at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at your photo and it will help me in understanding your condition better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Brown spot on hip,red ring,itchy,pimple,stretch mark 1 hour later
Its not a rash and it is not scaly. it is smothe...but rasied if that makes sense. I do not believe it is ringworm either, because i have seen ringworm before.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back and sending your photographs.

From the photographs, I agree that it does not look like a ringworm. Some possibilities which are coming to my mind and need evaluation from a dermatologist are:

1) It can be due to pseudofolliculitis or hot tub folliculitis which consists of follicular pustules, starts 1-2 days after exposure, and tends to be worse on the buttocks, hips and present as itchy small papules on buttocks.

2) The second possibility is of scabies bite which is a more likely diagnosis because of the short stretch XXXXXXX which can be due to burrows from the scabies bite. Diagnosis of scabies is made by scraping the skin and viewing the material under a microscope to see the characteristic mite or eggs.

3) Last possibility is of an arthropod bite or insect bite which is causing these symptoms.

Apply some calamine lotion and wear cotton clothes. For the itching you can take some oral antihistaminic after consulting your good health.