Brown splotchy spots on wrist and spreading. What can it be?

Question
i have brown splotchy spots on my wrist and i think it is spreading. what do you think it is?
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Pigmentation Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

From your symptoms and the photograph, these brown spots look like solar lentigo or sun spots. Solar lentigines most commonly occur in older adults, particularly those who sunburn easily and fail to XXXXXXX but they may also occur in young adults and children. They appear as well-defined, light brown to black, flat spots.

You should avoid exposure to sunlight in midday (10 AM to 3 PM), wear sun-protective clothing (tightly woven clothes and hats), and apply sunscreen (SPF 30 UVA and UVB block).

You cannot remove them at home.Cryosurgery using liquid nitrogen and laser are the main treatment modalities.Although there are many skin creams like salicylic acid,but their use needs prescription and should always be used under medical supervision.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Brown splotchy spots on wrist and spreading. What can it be? 41 minutes later
could you recommend an over the counter treatment such as a cream or shampoo that might help to remove/kill whatever is causing this?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

According to Mayo clinic, sun spots develop along areas of the skin frequently exposed to the sun, such as the face, hands, arms and shoulders. Ultraviolet rays stimulate the production of melanin, which causes the skin to XXXXXXX Over time, some of the extra melanin can clump together forming brown spots.

There are no over the counter creams for treating them. Creams containing hydroquinone, kojic acid or glycolic acid are effective but they are available under prescription.