Brown/red spot that appears on right thumb around an old burn in morning, then disappears. Reasons ?

I have a brown/red spot that appears on my right thumb the last few mornings and then disappears. It actually surrounds an old burn area that has healed. I've also been having problems with itchy skin and itchy scalp almost on a daily basis for a while.
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
The brown/ red spot near an old scar is likely to be due to mild inflammatory changes in the scar tissue. In case the scar becomes red, itchy, increases in size or becomes ulcerated then it needs to be examined by a dermatologist to rule out any malignant transformation. For symptomatic relief, you can apply 1% hydrocortisonme ointment on the affected area.
The itching that you are having can be due to:-
- Dry skin
-Generalized itching without specific skin changes include metabolic problems like cholestasis(obstructive jaundice),
-Reactions to drugs,insect stings and bites such as from mosquito or flea bites,
-Fungal infection psoriasis,ringworm,
-Scabies which is a highly contagious skin problem caused by scabies mite,
-Stress and anxiety can also result in or aggravate itch.
So here it is important to find the cause of your itch and treatment will be according to the cause.
Presently since your symptoms are disturbing your day today life you can take medicines like Loratidine(Claritin) or Benadryl(diphenhydramine).
Locally anti itch lotions like diphenhydramine or Caladryl shall help reduce the itching.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.