Brown mucus after passing stools, abdominal cramps. Recent childbirth. Could it be worms?

Hi, I have a question about a recent bowel movement that I had this morning. I went to the bathroom as normal, but when I wiped I noticed 3 or 4 stringy brown mucus on the tissue. The only weird symptom I have had was yesterday, when I had weird cramping in my ovaries. Nothing else is out of sorts. I had a baby 5 months ago, and currently am trying to lose weight. I'm not really doing it the right way, I only eat one meal a day. What could have caused the brown stringy like mucus (3-4 stringy things)? Could it be worms? I haven't eaten raw veggies or meat, and I'm crazy about washing my hands after doing anything not clean.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
If this is an isolated episode I would not worry about it. If it keeps on happening then I would suggest you to visit a physician for further evaluation, as this can be a sign of an underlying gastrointestinal disease if it is persistent, particularly if stool is mixed with spots of blood.
The colon normally produces a jelly mucous to lubricate the passage of stool, and it can vary depending on the diet as well. The fact that you are eating only one meal a day is certainly not good, and you might be becoming malnourished, making your bowel lining weak and prone to infections and becoming inflamed, therefore producing more mucous (or if infected even pus).
You can certainly also have a parasitic infection, however usually you would have diarrhea, you could potentially see worms moving. The diagnosis would be made with a stool sample sent for microbiologic examination.
For now I would recommend you to eat three healthy meals a day (particularly if you are lactating), do exercise to lose weight (do not starve yourself), and if your symptoms persist ask your primary care or gastroenterologist for further recommendations or studies to be performed.
Hope that helped.