Brown menstrual blood, food cravings, constipation, feeling full, fatigue. Late periods. What would this be?

I thought I was pregnant. My last period was on the 20th XXXXXXX 2012. After my ovulation I had symptoms like food cravings, constipation, feeling of being full and fatigue. My period was late by a few days. I just had my period over the weekend. The colour is not right, it’s brown and blood is not fresh, it’s dark. What would this be? Is it a possible miscarriage?
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 36 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Sometimes, when the period gets delayed by a few days, the colour of the blood may get altered and you may be passing clots as well. Thereafter, you should be passing fresh blood.
However, this could be a possible miscarriage as well. The only way to know is to do a urine pregnancy test. This should be weakly positive still if you just had a miscarriage. if the test is positive, the next step is an ultrasound of the pelvis to make sure that no products of conception are not left in the uterus. Its essential to remove these as they have a high chance of getting infected.
Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.