Brown itchy spots on the testicles. Not STD. What are the other reasons?

I've always had small brown spots, maybe 1mm diameter on testicles. They seem to follow the veins. They seem to come and go. Some itching at times but this could just be dry skin which I generally have. Sometimes have scratched the itch but not overly. What are these - I have had them for a very long time? No STDs since only one 32 year marriage and never a problem.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

You are having brown spots on the testis with slight itching .No history of sexually transmitted diseases. There are 2 causes for this:

1.     Angiofibroma- Small dome-shaped or jagged bumps around the crown of the head of the penis, scrotum are probably pearly penile spots.

2.     Angiokeratoma- (Fordyce spots) is a benign disease, and is due to a collection of very small veins, in which case a single lesion may bleed.

This is commonly seen in the elderly, characterized by spherical, reddish to black, elevated lesions rarely over 4 mm in diameter, which usually follow the course of the scrotal veins. They are benign formations composed of dilated ectatic capillaries in the superficial dermis. Their size may range from 1- to 5-mm, color from blue-to-red and may appear to be scaly.

Most of the time there is itchiness and pain. These small papules may appear on the scrotum, shaft of penis, inner thigh, and there may be just one papule or a few.

They may appear in cases where there is an increased venous pressure. These papules may start to bleed if they are scratched or injured during sex.

They are not XXXXXXX and may be removed for cosmetically reasons. Procedures like laser, electro-coagulation, excision, or cryotherapy may be used.

There is probability of it being Angiokeratoma. You could visit a dermatologist and have them checked too.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.