Brown discharge from toenails after cutting

General Surgeon
Just cut my husbands toenails and they are seeping a brownish discharge? Never happened before, is something wrong?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Thanks for query.

It is generally due to either ingrowing nail or fungal or bacterial infection.

Sometimes tight shoes also causes bleeding under the nail, that comes after trimming of nail. I guess the brownish discharge is blood. If so it should stop on its own. If not the above conditions can cause such discharge.

There is nothing to worry, all the above are benign conditions that will respond to simple course of antibiotics and antifungal tablets. The course is prolonged if it is fungal.

The next step is:
1) Wash the area under free flowing water for 10 minutes- it reduces the chances of further infection
2) If it is bloody discharge, then you may apply an antiseptic and put pressure bandage to stop the bleed
3) If it is not bloody discharge you should be applying the regular antiseptic and seek an appointment with your family physician / GP for a course of antibiotic.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.