Brown discharge during pregnancy, tummy cramps and tightening. Other babies premature. Serious?

Hi I'm 30 years old and I'm 29 weeks pregnant and expecting my 6th baby. I have been having brown discharge since monday this week, I've had to wear pads and I've been experiencing tummy cramps, tightenings and pain in my lower tummy at times. I had all my other children two months premature and my blood type is rehsus negative. Could you give me some advice on what it might be, thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: Brown discharge during pregnancy, tummy cramps and tightening. Other babies premature. Serious? 7 minutes later
I've been doing lots of resting and I have a diagnosed pelvis problem too which means I can't get out much anyway. Because I had all my other children two months early, do you think this baby will be the same? I'm with a different partner too. The baby has been head down since 23 weeks and she appears to have dropped down a lot in the last week.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information. However, as I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:

1. Your blood group is Rhesus negative, what is the blood group of your partner?
2. What pelvic problem have you been diagnosed with?
3. Did you have all normal deliveries and were there any other complications in previous deliveries apart from premature deliveries?

You are 29 weeks pregnant with 6th baby and have brown discharge since 5 days with tummy cramps, tightenings and pain.

Abdominal pain can come and go as your baby has growth spurts. The added tension causes the pain until the ligaments adjust to the increased tension. A physical therapist can develop a stretching program that will help address some of the pain. Some women also find that wearing a belly support belt can help take some of the pressure off the ligaments.

Bleeding at any stage of pregnancy should not be ignored. Brown indicates old blood, and it is not necessarily a sign of miscarriage. Although brown spotting is usually less concerning than pink or red bleeding, a miscarriage can start with brown spotting that turns to pink or red over time. There are other causes for spotting like from implantation site, spotting after sex, or placental problems.

If you experience bright red blood that resembles the start of your monthly period, cramps in the pelvic area, passing tissue or blood clots or severe pain in the lower back or abdomen you will need to show to a Gynecologist immediately.

It is good that are well rested. Previous preterm birth is one of the risk factors for having another premature infant. You can prevent a subsequent Premature birth by treating any infection if present. Avoid smoking if any. If you suffer from any illness like Diabetes of blood pressure, you should be treated for it during pregnancy.

Normally babies at 29 to 30 weeks will shift from breech position or transverse position to head down or cephalic position. You are in your 26 th week now. If you feel the head is gone too low or engaged, then you might need to show to a gynecologist to prevent premature delivery.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.