Brown discharge during pregnancy. Intravaginal ultrasound normal. Should I be worried?

Hello . My wife is 8wks and 4 days. She had a intravaginal us earlier today and everything was ok. Now she is having some brown discharges. Should we be worried?
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us

Brownish discharge indicates two things , either vaginal infection or it is an older blood from uterine cavity or cervix.

To be on safer side she should get her ultrasound done to see the cardiac activity and any sign of subchorionic haemorrhage.

Strict bed rest is required till she vists her doctor.

She should continue taking folic acid supplements.

Best wishes and good luck

Any further query is most welcome
Follow-up: Brown discharge during pregnancy. Intravaginal ultrasound normal. Should I be worried? 12 hours later
Later she started having bright blood with no pain. We went to er and US was normal. This morning her bleeding is gone.. what do u think
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 12 hours later

Welcome once again

8 weeks pregnancy with bleeding per vaginum without pain and ultrasound normal , means it was a case of threatened abortion.

It means there was a danger but was prevented.

She should take bed rest till 12 weeks.

Folic acid supplements , micronized progesterone , HCG injections and isoxsuprine hydrochloride are the line of treatment and should be taken under doctor's guidance.

She should avoid travelling and jerks

Regular follow ups are required.

Wishing her good luck and best wishes to both of you