Brown discharge, US shows yolk sac but no fetus. Normal situation?

So I went to my OB yesterday because I had a little brown discharge, on Sunday. I had it once and didn't get again. They did an ultrasound and they say the yok sac but they didn't see a fetus yet, they said that was normal. They thought they might of seen it but couldn't confirm. Is this normal? Is this a good sign? I got a call today and they said I have a UTI and I am getting a cold. The Dr said it is good because my hormones are working well. Is he right? Or just saying this not to freak me out. I have another ultrasound in 2 weeks when I am 7 weeks 4 days. Help! Its my first!
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Let me reassure you that I am not concerned that your pregnancy is in jeopardy. Occasionally we see this type of discharge in patients who are going through the hormonal fluctuation that is abnormal for pregnancy.

You are doing all the right things in talking to your obstetrician as well as obtaining the appropriate test including urinalysis as well as ultrasound. The baby is growing right now within your body and in two weeks. You will see the progress that is made and I am confident that the pregnancy will continue on a healthy course.

At this point it is very important for you to focus on good nutritional intake as well as healthy activity levels. It is also important that you try to limit any significant degree of anxiety and stress because this will make the pregnancy more difficult for you to tolerate. Mild exercise as well as meditation or yoga have been proven to be very beneficial.

As your first pregnancy you will see your body going through many types of changes including the growth associated with the baby as well as the fluctuation in hormone levels. I encourage you to continue to discuss things with your obstetrician and continue to read online at reputable websites including webMD among others. These will be good sources of information for you.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful informative and reassuring. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert