Brown coloured stripe appeared on lower forearm. Is this an age related problem?

A brown colored stripe appeared on my lower forearm overnight. It is about 2 inches long--does not hurt and is not raised. It has appearance of a bruise XXXXXXX however I did not bump my arm to cause this. I am 77 years old--is this an age related problem?
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 36 minutes later

Thank you posting your query,

You have provided with good information regarding your health concern and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can post a picture of the lesion which would help me further understand it better.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

At present it seems to be senile ecchymosis .It is not only common at this age but also a side effect of medicines which you are taking for heart (as blood thinners) .It is nothing but collection of blood due to breakage of fine superficial blood vessels in skin. Probably it would have developed due to pressure while sleeping .

Usually these lesions subside on its own and does not require any intervention.

Since its a single lesions nothing much to worry ,but in case you develop more of these then you should consult a physician for proper investigations.

Close up picture of the lesion would help me further.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.