Brown bleeding during pregnancy. Is there any problem with having a dead fetus inside me?

Im suppose to be 12weeks pregnant and had some brown slight bleeding. I went to the ER on wednesday and was told my fetus is the size of a 7week fetus and couldnt find a heartbeat. They suggested I see my regular doctor to determine if I need to take the remaining tissue. I saw my doctor yesterday and didnt want to do anything before I had another ultrasound bcuz according to her Im still pregnant ( theres a fetus and placenta) My next appt is not until and Im worried having this dead fetus in me can be bad for me. Is there anytjing I can do ? I havent had any bleeding after that day...
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later

First, I want to give you some general information-

Gestational age of fetus is calculated from either first day of last menstrual period or ultrasound scan in early pregnancy.

Second thing is fetus develops cardiac activity around 6-7 weeks of gestation.

In your case, I want to know your LMP (Last Menstrual Period) means first day of last periods & to know whether your periods are regular or irregular.

Sometimes there may be possibility of delayed conception if your periods are irregular or there may be possibility of mistaken dates.

If due to these reasons you are having 7weeks fetus, then you should wait until cardiac activity develops & get a repeat ultrasound (USG) scan after 2-3 days.

In second option if you are having regular periods & actual age of fetus is of 12 weeks according to you LMP & according to previous ultrasound scan, but in last USG it is only of 7 weeks with no cardiac activity; it means you have lost your fetus & you should go for dilatation & curettage as soon as possible.

I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your follow up queries.