Brown bleeding and cramps midcycle. US scheduled. Concerned

May 2013
Last period July 27. A week and a half ago I started passing dark brown blackish blood. I had serve cramps, went to the doctor and he said to come back if things worsened. Cramps were on and off for two days with no bleeding, then 3 rd day ad huge gush of blood and large clots. Things quited down and it seemed like start of normal cycle 2 days after. Yesterday started again ITH serve cramping, and last night had another huge gsh of blood, woke me in my sleep. Now still flowing lighter again bu bad cramps again? Scheduled for an ultrasound in two weeks, but I am concerned! Never had a period in the mid cycle, always had bad cramping but never lasted more than one day, and I don't want to go back to er
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

the possible causes for your bleeding are,

-dysfunctional uterine bleeding in the form of irregular shedding in case of ovulatory cycles or metropathea hemorrhagica in case of anovulatory cycles etc ,
these will occur due to hormonal imbalance usually,

-possibility of miscarriage,

-hormonal disorders like thyroid hormonal deficiency etc,

so by physical examination and by ultrasound your doctor can possibly find out the actual cause and treatment can be taken accordingly.
before ultrasound you can go for antispasmodics and antifibrinolytics for control of symptoms with your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Brown bleeding and cramps midcycle. US scheduled. Concerned 16 minutes later
I have sharp pains in abdomen now and blood flow as decreased yet again. When a cervical exam was done on Thursday the doctor said my womb was the size of a peach. I am just trying to stay comfortable
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 51 minutes later

the possible causes for pain abdomen, bleeding per vaginum and increased size of uterus are,
-fibroids, adenomyosis etc but these will usually cause increased menstrual bleeding, inter menstrual bleeding is some what uncommon with them that why I mentioned other causes earlier,
in case of polyp or ulcerative submucosal fibroid you can have inter menstrual bleeding with pain,
malignancies are rare in your age, so no need to get tensed about them,
anyhow as the flow is decreased now,for relief of pain you can take anti-spasmodics, and go for ultrasound which can detect the possible cause.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.