Bronchitis, coughing, loose phlegm. Taken steriods, azithromycin. How can it be treated faster?

dr. said i had bronchits, gave me a steroid shot, presribed axithromycin 250mg. use pro air, robittusin, ect.
today it was esp. bad,,,coughing, and loose phlegm....should i continue to go to the office. should i feel better quickly?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

As I believe that a detailed history is an integral part of an accurate opinion, I would like to have a few more details before giving you my expert opinion regarding the symptoms you are having.

1)     Do you run temperature?

2)     Since how long is the cough and expectoration?

3)     Were you prescribed the antibiotic after sputum culture?

4)     Since how long are you taking the treatment?

5)     Do you have this cough constantly at all the times or it comes and goes?

Usually antibiotics do take 72 hours for the beginning of symptomatic improvement.

The best treatment for impacted mucus is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your airways. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.

If you have fever or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get an X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Bronchitis, coughing, loose phlegm. Taken steriods, azithromycin. How can it be treated faster? 10 hours later
No temperature, more like phelm not mucus. No culture. the cough was to clear the phelm. No heart disease, It has been about 2 months. I work in a rehab. sickness....would getting a flu shot helped this. Should I have acid reflex looked into?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
If the phelgm is there it is suggestive of persistent chest infection. A specific antibiotic might be needed according to the sputum culture. Acid reflux can cause the cough but is not likely to produce phelgm.
Consulting your physician for an appropriate antibiotic and if necessary a chest X-ray will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.